Dr. Raymond G. Scott
Colonial Hospital, Geneva, Illinois
Founded on December 19, 1908 by Dr. Raymond G. Scott, Colonial Hospital, with its nine beds, was located on Third Street in Geneva. This Greek Revival-style home , built in 1850 and known as the H.B. Wells House, also served as the home of Dr. Scott and his family.
A gifted young physician and native of Sandwich, Illinois, Dr. Scott graduated from Rush Medical College in 1897. Moving to Geneva in 1899, he brought to the area medical innovations, which at first were met with some skepticism, such as the concept of rubber gloves, antiseptic conditions during surgery and early ambulation of patients following surgery. In addition to being a medical leader, Dr. Scott was a compassionate caregiver. He and his wife often carried patients up the stairs of their home hospital for treatment.