"The Friendly Hospital"
When the growing community needed quarters, a community-wide fundraising
effort led to the founding of Community Hospital. On February 6, 1925,
eighteen patients were moved from Colonial Hospital to Fieldstone House, which
had been built in 1892 by Captain Christian Bowman Dodson, and Community
Hospital was underway.
Miss Stewart, a well-qualified nurse administrator, was hired as Community
Hospital's first superintendent. A strict, no-nonsense arbiter of the
hospital's destiny, she began each day's work with a prayer meeting for all.